Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Interesting Discovery

I was reading a blog from an adoptive mom from China whose daughter has developed leukemia, and she is looking for a donor amongst adopted children. It is so sad...

Anyways......she was talking about how her daughter belongs to a minority group in China called the Hakka. She described her daughter as short, dark skinned with a round face, and full lips…….Remind you of anybody?

I did a little research, and the Hakkas are indigenous of Mia's province. Their typical features are a round face, fuller lips, double eyelids, big eyes, and dark skin. That is Mia 100%.

Furthermore, I went on to find out what their personality traits are, and here goes Mia again: combative, argumentative, headstrong, straight-talking….should I continue????

Mike laughed and laughed on the phone about it when I told him. That is sooooooooo Mia. The website also say that Hakka women are fiercely independent and tend to endure hardship in life more readily. They also have large feet, which is exactly what Mia has - chubby wide feet, not made for binding, as the website said.

Amazing - we have been wondering all this time why she looked so much like she could be from Cambodia or Vietnam, and there, now we know.

I guess for an adopted child knowing anything about her origins is priceless. So, even if we will never know anything about her birthfamily, at least she has an idea of where she came from and why she looks so different from Emma.

Love to all,

Laura

1 comment:

Laura L. said...

I do think this is interesting! Of course a lot of it reminds me of Jadyn. Maybe I'll have to check into this too.
I've tagged you. Take a look at my blog and play along if you want to.