Friday, September 21, 2012

What do YOU miss?

This morning, someone asked me what I miss about Italy.  I gave it a little thought, and of course, family is the first thing that came to mind, but really, what I miss the most about Italy as a country are the mountains and church bells.

I grew up going to the mountains every summer - my best friend Tiziana still lives there, and I have the best memories of the years spent in Moggio with her and her family.  I love the beach, but there is something about hiking and the smell of fresh air that just cannot compare to the sand and the smell of fish!  ;)

Church bells...we live in the South, and we have three catholic churches in a city of 300,000.  The closest catholic church is at least 3 miles from us.  I never hear the bells.  Back in Italy, I could see the bell tower from my bedroom window, and you can bet I always knew what time it was!

So, there, I don't miss the food, I don't miss the shopping...I just miss mountains and bells.

If you also live away from where you grew up, what do YOU miss the most?  Do tell.   















Moggio Udinese, Italy













Chiesa della S.ma Trinita', Verona, Italy  (BTW, I was baptized, received 1st Holy Communion, was confirmed, and married in this church).

post signature

No comments: