Monday, January 9, 2012

"You guys are so good!"

For adopting the girls, that is.


I was just told this yesterday, but it is not the first time, and I never know how to respond.  I always change the subject, because it is embarrassing to me.  Why?  Well, I don't know.


Mike and I are VERY far from being saints, and I don't think we are out to save the world in any way.  Adopting Mia was actually a fulfillment of our selfish desire to have a baby.  Of course, we took into consideration that she needed a family, and at the same time we could have easily tried other ways to have another baby, but I don't think it was a grand act.  A grand act would have been for her birth mother to raise her, so she wouldn't have to suffer from being abandoned.  Emma is a little different, but I am sure another family would have come forward and adopted her and she would have had a great life.


Am I confusing anybody here?  I ask because I am confusing myself.  Are we saints for giving birth to Tyler?  I mean, that is a great act to give birth to a child and raise him, right?  So, what is the difference? 


Adopting the girls was a way to broaden our family and that is just the way we chose to do it.  Not looking for recognition, for a pat on the shoulder.  Because I tell you, it's no walk in the park!!!  It's hard work and we struggle every day for one reason or another.  
And by the way - I am tired to be reminded all the time that they are adopted.  I am tired of talking about it and I am tired of hearing it.  They are just the Grant girls, our girls.  I do not want them to be defined by this - I want them to be defined by who they are, not the way they came to join our family.


And who needs a therapist when you have a blog, right?????


Love to all.

post signature

2 comments:

Goosegirl said...

MWAH! Big kiss for you Laura!

AwesomeCloud and family said...

I've decided that next time I hear that, I'm going to respond, "Woo hoo! Yeah! I totally rule!" I think it will require just the right tone of voice, in which the sarcasm is present but not dripping.