As I was sitting watching the Yankees playing the Angels tonight, I was thinking about what good reason Mike and I have to be Yankees fans. Neither one of us is from NY - Mike is from CT, which is very close, but clearly not close enough. And then it hit me.
About 5 years ago, we drove from GA to CT to spend Christmas with Mike's family. The trip was about 22 hours long and turned out to be quite eventful. Mike and I were mad at each other (don't remember why...) and didn't talk for the first 5-6 hours, Tyler threw up twice in his car seat, forcing us to hit the dumpster behind WalMart and spending a pretty penny on a new car seat, the weather was HORRIBLE, but most importantly that was the time Mike was officially affiliated with the NY Yankees, and I followed by association.
Let me explain here - we stopped for gas in a little town in South Carolina, and the "Silent One", (as I like to call my husband when he is mad at me and doesn't talk to me for days) was coming back from the cashier, arranging his dollar bills by amount and making sure they were all facing the same way (slight case of OCD there). Back then we both still had our cars registered in CT, so we were sporting a CT plate on my Jeep Cherokee, and Mike was clearly holding up progress, as this local (= redneck) in a run-down light blue pick-truck who had seen much cleaner days, started honking his horn at us to make us get out of the way. Mike, already not in the best of moods, turned around and waved the man off as if to tell him to leave him alone. And then it happened....................The man rolled down his window, stuck his head out, and yelled out: "You f^%^%$^ YANKEES, go back where you came from!!!!"
Ha! I told you there was a reason.
;-)
Laura
2 comments:
Laura, I laughed out loud!! I love this story!
Hey what's wrong with having your dollar bills all in order all going the same way - that's exactly how they are in my wallet too...guess some of that OCD stuff runs in the family. Love you guys! Lisa
Post a Comment