When Emma first came home, I was very disillusioned that a miracle would happen, and she would wake up one day speaking fluent English and caught up with the rest of the kids her age. Little did I know, things worked out a lot differently.
A year later, I have made peace with the fact that she will always have to work twice as hard to catch up all the years she missed out of good nutrition, affection, and stimulation. I have to let go and stop fighting so hard for her to be perfect, because she already is perfect just the way she is.
A friend of mine has a son who is 14 yo and autistic. Every time she talks about him, she starts by telling people just that - well, you know, he is autistic....and then she continues on with what she wanted to say. I always got on her about it, telling her that it doesn't matter, and that she shouldn't say that every time, and explain herself to people, and you know what? I do the same with Emma.
When somebody asks me how old she is, before they even say anything else, I have to explain how she is so small for her age and she has some catching up to do. If somebody starts talking to her or asks her a question, I immediately jump in and "translate" for them so they know what she is saying, and again, explain how she was born cleft affected and she is in speech therapy, etc....I feel like I have to explain so people won't be wondering why she cannot talk at almost 5 yo.....I am wrong, and I need to stop it. Emma is who she is, and we love her for her strength, resilience, sweetness, and for being so darn cute!!!!!!
So, everybody, no, Emma is not speaking in full sentences, nor clearly, and she is still wearing 2T bottoms, but she has overcome so much in one year, she truly is our little hero! She went from stumbling over her feet to running all the time, she went from scribbling all over the page to almost being able to write her name, she underwent two surgeries within a 4-month period, and her speech is getting better and better every day. So, no more explanations from me.
Phew, that was a big load.......happy I got rid of it.
Love to all,
Laura
2 comments:
What a wise and wondeful mama you are for Emma...exactly the one God wanted for her!!!! As mamas- we are so aware of our children's shortcomings and strengths and want everyone to focus on the highlights--we want so much for our kidds and I am so glad Emma has you guys for her family to grow and thrive in. When you first announced you were going back for another China girl--I was amazed--I was still in the throes of bringing home our first China baby and couldn;t even imagine getting to the point you were at. Now WE are in that exact same spot and getting ready to bring home a 2 child...your strength and resilience has been such a blessing and example to me as we follow in your footsteps. Your family is beautiful and perfectly made by God.
Take care--tiffany
Laura, You are such an amazing mom! All three of your kids are blessed to have you.
I miss you!
Sommer
Post a Comment