Some of you may remember that in February a disgruntled employee burned down my office building. The building was a historical building - the second oldest on Ft Benning, GA. To me and many other employees, it was our second home.
Today, Shawana T. Pierce was sentenced to 7 years in a federal penitentiary and 7.2 million dollar restitution for burning the building. I went to the hearing, and I felt nothing. I thought I would get my sweet revenge by seeing her in her orange jumpsuit, instead nothing (only a little jealousy, because she must have lost 60 lbs!!!!!!!). No compassion, no anger, nothing. I think I needed to go over there to finally get over it and resign myself to the fact that for the next 5 years our work situation will be temporary, and that we will have to be flexible. Then I look at so many others around me, who don't have a job, and my complaints become futile. I am fortunate to have a job that allows my family to live comfortably.
I am so grateful for my husband and my three children, and that nobody was hurt on 6 February 2009. Everything else doesn't matter anymore. It's over.
No comments:
Post a Comment