Friday, April 8, 2011

Does she know she is adopted?

It had been a while since anybody had asked stupid questions about the girls, and I should have known to stay away from the post office, because clearly that is where all the stupid questions get asked.


I am very understanding of people being curious - I embrace it actually because then I can vomit all my adoption stuff on them and maybe they will think about it and adopt as well. Some people are plain stupid, though.


Example: me and Emma are at the post office (you knew that already) and the lady in front of me, after staring for a while, finally let it out. Lady: Does she know she is adopted? Me: She does now!!! Now, that was mean of me to answer that way, but I just couldn't help myself! Her face was priceless. She had no idea what to say next. That will teach her. Haha! What if Emma really didn't know? That is not something you just ask people in public in front of their children.


I have been asked before if the girls were my real children - no, they are my plastic ones. The real ones stay home so they don't get worn out. How about the best question of all times: How much did she cost? Hmmmmmm, I don't remember, but let me get a quote for you...


So, I think I should write a book about what people can and cannot ask adoptive families about their children. Will you buy it?


Love, Laura and the gang

3 comments:

AwesomeCloud and family said...

I got that question recently too! Actually it was phrased, "Will you tell him he's adopted?"

I dunno, maybe it has something to do with the popular misconception that if you don't talk to children about race, they won't notice there's any such thing.

Laura L. said...

Wow! That just makes you shake your head in disbelief, doesn't it? I love how you answered her. Hahahaha! You are a funny one Laura, and it's just too bad I don't get to see you in person from time to time.

Laura L. said...

I was wondering if you have seen this blog post. http://www.storinguptreasures.com/2011/04/things-you-should-never-say.html