Monday, July 19, 2010

Infantry Camp

Tyler is attending Infantry Summer Camp at the National Infantry Museum this week. He was a bit reluctant at first because he doesn't know anybody there, but when I went to pick him up today, he wouldn't stop talking!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He has been talking about joining the Marines for some time now, so we want him to have a taste of military life, even though this is nothing compared to what he will have to face if he joins the service.

I have thought about this a lot, and everybody asks me the same question: How do you feel about it? Well, first of all, he is 12, and he will most certainly change his mind 20 times before he is 18. In the event he doesn't, I will have to accept it. The Army was good to his dad and me for 20 years, and even though seeing my baby go to war is the last thing on Earth I want to think about, I always told him that serving our great country is the most honorable job a man or woman can have, so I will not go back on my words just because they apply to him now.

I have just one request: that he goes as an officer and that he comes home to see me as much as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and grandbabies, I forgot, I must have some!!!!

So, our little Soldier is learning all about leadership values and military history, and whether he decides to make it a career or not, it is just a good foundation for him!

He had only one complaint - the McDonald's Happy Meal they gave him for lunch.....at 5'5", 120 lbs, that is just a snack for him!!!!!! Hahahaha!

Gotta love him. Pictures to follow. Graduation is Friday, so I will try to get some then. In the meantime, here is a picture of me in the Army A LONG TIME AGO!!! I am the third from the right....ahhhh, the good old skinny days.......




Love to all,

Laura

No comments: