Monday, November 19, 2012

Emma Update

It has been a while since I have posted an update about Emma and her medical ordeals.

Well, my little monkey had surgery at the end of May and it was successful.  She now has a full mouth of teeth erupting in all directions and she will get braces a few days before Christmas.  Actually, it is only one tooth in the front that will be getting one brace on it and, as she loses the rest of her baby teeth, she will get more.  This will allow her top teeth to start aligning and will hopefully avoid having to do an implant when she is older.

In other news, her school teachers have become more and more concerned about her learning disabilities.  Emma is in 2d grade, but is not able to read or write.  She can draw beautiful pictures and she can tell a lot of stories, but she is still light years behind academically.  I went to see her pediatrician and we have decided to go ahead and start some genetic testing.  The fact that she was born with a cleft lip and palate and that her leg muscles are still very weak after 4 years at home, along with the learning disabilities, raises concerns more serious than just her still trying to catch up.  So, we will see.  We are waiting for an appointment at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta with the geneticist - I will post an update as soon as I know more.

Regardless of what emerges from this series of testing, I am amazed at how much Emma has changed since she arrived home 4 years ago.  She has blossomed into a witty, silly, sweet young lady, a bit prone to lying, but nevertheless, a doll.  Here are some pictures from the day I met her until now.

We love her so much - life wouldn't be the same without her hugs and kisses, and her cold little toes tucked under my legs.  She is one of a kind!

























Love to all,

Laura and the gang

post signature

No comments: